Tooth-Colored Fillings – Sunnyvale, TX
Make Cavities Seamlessly Disappear
At some point, nearly every patient needs at least one filling. That's because tooth decay is one of the most common oral health problems. Tooth decay, also known as cavities, is caused by a combination of bacteria and acid, which together wear away at the protective layer of enamel on your teeth. To prevent this damage from spreading, we can place dental fillings in Sunnyvale. While metal fillings were common in the past, dentists today, including Dr. George Philip, use a tooth-colored alternative to make cavities seamlessly disappear while creating a cosmetically pleasing solution. No one but our dental team should be able to tell that you even have a filling!
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are made of a putty-like substance called composite resin, which is comprised of a combination of plastic and glass and can be shaded to match the color of the patient's smile, providing discreet results. Additionally, they're more supportive of the tooth's natural structure than metal fillings. As a result, Dr. Philip can leave more of your natural smile intact.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Here are some of the numerous benefits that tooth-colored fillings have over metal fillings:
- Composite resin chemically bonds to your enamel, sealing out bacteria and preventing future decay from forming in that area.
- Because of this bond, tooth-colored fillings can last just as long as metal fillings, if not even longer.
- Provided you brush, floss, and attend dental checkups regularly, tooth-colored fillings can last up to a decade.
- They’re a wonderful alternative for patients with an allergy or sensitivity to metal.
- Over time, metal fillings can seep into the enamel, darkening the tooth. By contrast, tooth-colored fillings blend in perfectly with the rest of your smile.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
In many cases, your dentist in Sunnyvale can complete several tooth-colored fillings in just one appointment. First, Dr. Philip makes sure you’re comfortable and numbs the area of your mouth he’ll be working on. The decayed sections of enamel are then removed, and the tooth is thoroughly cleaned. After using a shade guide to select the perfect color of composite resin, Dr. Philip applies it to the cavity, sculpting it as he goes until your tooth is built up to the ideal shape and size. Once this step is completed, he shines an ultraviolet curing light into the tooth to harden the resin within seconds, creating a powerful bond with the enamel. Lastly, your tooth is polished, making it look and feel natural.
If you have a toothache that you think might warrant a filling, or an old filling falls out and needs to be replaced, don’t hesitate to contact us. We provide same-day emergency care to relieve your discomfort and get your smile back on track.